Monday, August 16, 2010

Intrigued

Enough about Starbucks. Let's chat about school & life, shall we?

I finished up the two-week wedding cakes class on Friday with a traditional French wedding cake, the croquembouche. Wonderfully labor intensive and beautiful, it was one of my favorite things we've made so far. However, thanks to the near 100% humidity, it was in a pile on the floor less than 12 hours after it was completed. Bummer. I did get some pics before it crashed, thankfully. Hope to post soon.

PIE HOLE was in town this weekend and we had a blast. I rode the CTA orange line for the first time out to Midway with Kyle to pick her up on Saturday afternoon. We made our way back to my hood, Edgewater, and then went to Calo in Andersonville for dinner. A-MAZ-ING. I would totally go back! We waddled home, rented a movie (Bounty Hunter), and then helped Kyle pack up and sent him home to Madison. Seriously, my place is only big enough for two to sleep. I was sad to see him go, but happy to have some girly time with my PIE. I also have exams this week, so I will either be studying or sleeping or working or at school, which makes for a lot of boring alone time for my hubby. Anyway... PIE and I didn't get 2/3 of the way through the movie before we were both snoozing- not because it was bad, but we were so tired! Movie off and we hit the hay- without an alarm set for morning.

We woke up around 8:30am, which was glorious! I had the day off from work, also wonderful so PIE and I had the whole day in front of us. We mozied about, got ready and were out the door around 10. Our first destination was Ann Sather, a local, popular Swedish breakfast/lunch spot famous for their cinnamon rolls. They were HUGE and good, but not as good as the best I've ever had (my mom's). We also had fruit and eggs to balance out the sugary carbs. It was so nice to linger over coffee and catch up about life. I value PIE so much and miss being able to see her often.

Shedd Aquarium was our next destination. When we got there, the line was a million miles long (or so it felt), but thankfully I planned to become a member and we zoomed right in. We got there around 12:30pm, took in a few of the exhibits and the Fantasea show at 2, and then Sam, a friend from college joined us. Some lady gave her tickets for the 4-D Planet Earth show at 3, so we saw that. And then everything again. We were there until it closed at 6! The three of us came back to my apartment. They went to the beach while I studied and did some laundry. And chatted with my mom <3 Sam headed back to Oak Park and PIE and I heated up some leftovers from Saturday night, made some broccoli and enjoyed dinner. And finished our movie. Then it was time for bed. She got up and left the apartment around 6 this morning, just as I was getting up for work. Sad, but not too sad because I'll see her on Saturday for Sarah's wedding!

Today, work was work-y and went by quick. I headed down to school and today was our first Master Demo. Chef J, one of the founders and co-owners of the school, spent 6 hours assembling a gorgeous sugar showpiece, talking us through it the whole way. It was hard to sit through six hours since we were all so used to being so active in the kitchen, but it was okay because we had chairs! With backs! And cushions! I am so intrigued by sugar work. When I started school, I put sugar showpieces at the top of my Most Scared Of/Intimidated By List. Now, though, I can't wait to do it! All the techniques he showed us were interesting and the products were fantastic. I hope I like it this much after I learn how to do it!

I'm off to bed to get up at 3:30am to schlep coffee for the masses. Nighty night!

No comments:

Post a Comment