Friday, August 6, 2010

6 Months

Six months ago today, I got married. Seriously, it has been the best six months of my life. I feel so in line with Kyle and genuinely happy. Not that I wasn't happy before, but just as all the people told me before I got hitched, something does change, but you just can't put it into words. Sure, what's mine is now his, my name changed, but there is something deeper to our connection. I love this feeling and I wouldn't have it any other way. Getting married was the best decision ever.

While in the planning stages of our wedding, I joined theknot.com. They send you a countdown to your big day, usually every month along with stuff you should be getting done. What I didn't know was they also send you count-ups after your wedding. Today, I got this email from them with the subject "Pregnant? New Parent? Trying to Conceive?" The body reads, "Believe it or not, it has been six months since we helped you plan your big day...here are some links to the top parenting websites, blah, blah, blah." PREGNANT?! No way. Now I know that many people do things in their own order these days- having babies then getting married, not getting married at all and having babies, etc. I'm all for what works for people. That's just not me or Kyle. We decided a while ago that we want to spend a few years as a married couple, enjoying each other before we add another element to our relationship. That email I got today was a shocker! While babies are cute and wonderful, we're not ready for that. Check back in maybe 3.5 years. There will definitely be a puppy before a baby!

Today also marks the one-month down, five months to go at school. In this first month, we got oriented, did some basic skills, learned about mousse cakes and have started wedding cakes. I can tell that I've learned a lot and my skill set is increasing, and I feel really good about being in school. I know that this is what I'm supposed to do because I'm finally enjoying what I'm doing.

Wedding cakes class has been eye-opening. I worked with Susan on some weddings and she taught me about icing a cake and laying fondant and piping. But we never made gum paste flowers. I've painted them before, but never made them. That's what I've been doing for the past 22 hours at school- making flowers. 5 roses, 3 carnations, 3 daisies, 6 little blossoms, 2 lilies and 2 orchids- and they aren't done yet! It makes me appreciate this art form, but I'm not sure it makes me want to run out open a wedding cake shop specializing in gum paste flowers. I'll post the progression of pictures soon so you can see what I'm talking about.

Yesterday we spent the last hour and a half at school learning how to cover cakes with fondant. With Susan, this was the thing that I was least good at and was actually weary of doing. You can't be weary in the kitchen classroom. You have two chances to get it right before your fondant rebels against you. So, I warmed it up, tinted it ivory, rolled it out and covered a cake. I DID IT! It looks pretty good and I'm hoping to post pictures this weekend. We're covering three Styrofoam tiers, decorating them and topping it with our gum paste flowers. Then we get to keep it forever. I've got to decide where in my tiny apartment this 16"x14" thing is going to live.

I slept in today- yay! I work for the next two days from about 8:30 to about 3 or 4. My saree and blouse are ready, so I'm heading to little India tomorrow to pick it up and probably go to the awesome grocery stores and pick up a few treats. A dinner out with some friends from school is happening either tonight or tomorrow, so that should be fun. PIE HOLE comes next weekend and then the weekend after that is Sarah's WEDDING! :) August is a great month.

3 comments:

  1. So happy YOU are so happy, Pook!! Your wedding was such a gorgeous and truly fabulous event and I am so deeply proud and content that you found a man who adores you and cherishes you and loves you as much as Kyle does. I love you both very much and can't wait to come see you and live it up in Chicago!!! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy first 6 months! When you're back we can make more flowers. I'm working on anemones and peonies. Glad to hear you nailed the fondant, baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratz and happy 6 months! any pictures of the cake and you?! =D

    ReplyDelete